Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pastel Beaches



















I just returned from a very relaxing vacation at the Jersey Shore. I’m not usually much for beach vacations. I’d much rather traipse around a big city with architecture, galleries and such, but I must say that I certainly see why the sand & surf are first choice of many for their “getting away” time.


While my companion frolicked among the waves, I took the opportunity to do some creating; plein air drawing in pastels. What a treat that was for me. Not only was I doing something new, but I actually found it to be a rather enjoyable experience.


I think I’ve mentioned in earlier posts about the fact that I should ’loosen up’ when I do work and not feel compelled to make everything “perfect”. This time, as with my previous watercolor experimentation, I felt free. No constraints, no expectations of perfection. I just had fun. I guess there’s something about being in a new place that makes one see the world differently. Here are the five drawings I did in just a few hours.
Drawing number four was actually done with ink and brush, then colored with pastels. I also wanted to interject something a bit unexpected, so I included the foot of a man who was sprawled out on the sand near us.
We actually spent only one full day at the beach, but it was definitely well worth it, don’t you think?

No comments: